According to my book “Decorating is Fun” by Dorothy Draper, published in 1939, there are many things you need to be really happy in bed:
1. A good reading lamp – perhaps a gooseneck with a high-powered bulb,
perhaps one of those little spotlights that fall right on your book.
2. An adequate end table (one at each side of the bed if possible).
3. A small radio on the table.
4. A bedside clock, perhaps with a luminous dial.
5. A thermos for ice water or hot cocoa.
6. A jar of cookies or fruit for night nibblers.
7. An outlet for an electric pad when you need one.
8. A bedside telephone and a complete list of telephone numbers.
9. A small book, or magazine rack, for night reading.
10. An ashtray and cigarette box.
11. Just the pillows you find most comfortable.
(Perhaps one hard and one soft and one baby pillow.)
12. A good supply of blankets of all weights.
13. A comfortable, pretty breakfast tray and china, for breakfast in bed or for use when you’re ill.
Doesn’t this sound luxurious?